"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift"
-Pre

Monday, June 4, 2012

Courting Towers 12.5 mile trail race

06/02/12 -- Courting Towers Race Report 


Results:  2nd place -- 1:45:42


Courting Towers trail race is put on by Dennis Vanderheiden and his non-profit organization -- Athletes in Tandem. Which according to their website, " ...is a nonprofit organization that actively participates in relationships with challenged athletes to enhance the quality of their lives by competing together in triathlons, running, biking and swimming events."

Basically, an awesome organization led by an awesome guy willing to better the lives of those through endurance sporting events and activities -- simply put....Dennis is the man!

On to the race--

Courting Towers 8 and 12.5 mile trail run is part of the Athletes in Tandem trail race series, which includes a 15 mile trail run up at Red Mountain Open Space later in the summer and then the Horsetooth Mountain Park 7 and 13 mile trail run in September.


I had heard about this race from Dennis via Facebook a few weeks ago.  And since I am 3 weeks out from finishing my first 50 miler, I thought this would be a great race to get a feel for how my recovery is coming along. A solid hard push on Horsetooth Mtn sounded like a fun time!  I waited until 9pm the night before the race to register for the 12.5 mile option over the more popular 8 mile option.

Toeing The Line:

Carpooled over with Steve, as he also registered for the 12.5 mile.  Checked in, used the porto potty, easy jog....and was ready to roll.  Dennis had a few last minute instructions before the race and just like that....we were on our way.

12.5 mile Race Course:

Soderberg trailhead > Swan Johnson > Towers > Mill Creek > Loggers > Sawmill > Valley trail > up Towers > left on Stout > Herrington > down Towers > Swan Johnson > Soderberg trailhead


As we took off from the start it was myself, Steve, Chris McCullough, Seth Kelly and one other runner leading the charge.....err, grind... up towers.  As we started the climb I could tell that my legs did not have the "pop" and "bounce" that I had been feeling most of the week.  So I settled into a groove and maintained it all the way to the Towers / Mill Creek turn off.  So far I was feeling not so good and the 4 runners ahead of me had a solid 1 minute lead on me by the turn off.  Surprisingly my towers / mill creek turn off split was 27:35 -- faster than the snail pace it felt like.  Perhaps I was feeling the climb because I was moving deceivingly faster than I felt like I was moving , or perhaps my legs still were feeling the affects of the 50 miler 3 weeks ago on this -- my first real hard push since the race.

Chugged down a mouthful of gatorade at the aid station and was on my way.  As soon as I started the quick descent on Mill Creek my legs started to feel MUCH better, and I pushed the pace HARD, trying to make up for the lackluster climb up towers.  One of the volunteers at the aid station said I was 1 minute behind the lead runners.  I knew Steve was running the 12.5 mile and McCullough was running the 8...but wasnt sure about the other 2 runners ahead --- I forged on!

Now pushing the pace and flying down the rocky trail, I was do everything I could to reel in the runners ahead.  Ran down Mill Creek - saw no one...Ran hard down Loggers - still saw no one.  At this point I was pushing hard and was somewhat shocked that I had not been able to get a visual on any runners ahead.  Then just before the Sawmill intersection I got a glimpse of Steve and Seth running ahead.  I pressed on and within a few hundred yards I ran by them on the left and tried to open a gap as we approached the valley trail.
I still could not see McCullough or the other runner ahead.  As I made my way into the valley I got a glimpse  of Chris as he was just making his way South at the Sawmill / Valley post intersection.  I knew he was running the 8 mile but was not sure of the other runner up ahead.
As I approached the Towers / Valley trail intersection I could see both runners ahead take a left turn --- which meant they were both in the 8 mile and which also meant -- I was leading the 12.5 mile race.

I stopped briefly at the aid station and guzzled down 2 mouthfuls of Gatorade goodness before making my way back up towers to the stout turnoff.  As I started to make my way up towers, Seth ran through the aid station --- and deep down I was hoping he was running the 8 mile, as I knew my legs had nothing on the climbs today.  However, a few strides into towers he pulled up along side me and we made the grunt back up towers, with Steve following closely behind.

I knew that my only chance of winning this was the screaming 2 miles of downhill to the finish, as my legs had nothing on the climb up.  As we turned onto Stout I looked back and saw Steve, about 30 seconds back.  I gave it my best and even threw in a few surges here and there on the flatter rolling stuff and tried to stick with Seth as long as I could before we made our way to the summit and started the fast descent back down.  But my legs had no answer on the short yet steep climbs up Stout.   And step by step he pulled away.

By the time I got to Herrington I was more than ready to rock and roll down Towers for a blistering descent.  
I didnt have visual on Seth anymore and so I cranked it out as hard as I could coming down towers in hopes of seeing life ahead.  Running sub 6 pace easily.  About a quarter mile down towers I got my first visual on the top spot since about halfway up Stout. And with about 1.5 miles to go, he had a solid 1/2 mile lead on me.

My only chance now of winning was if he was hurting BAD...since I felt great coming down, I continued to press on the gas all the way to the Swan Johnson intersection. And with 0.65 miles to go I eased off the gas and cruised into the finish -- 2nd place, an even 3 minutes back from 1st place.

About 5 minutes later Steve rolled across the line to take the 3rd spot.

All pics: Steve Saleeby

Top 3 - (L to R) Steve 3rd, myself 2nd, Seth Kelly 1st

Accepting my 2nd place "Rock" award

Chatting with Chris McCullough (8 mile winner) - post race



Overall I am pleased with how I raced.  The downhills felt great - pre 50 mile speed.  The uphills, well they didnt feel as good. And the inability to run hard and keep pace the entire way up on the climbs probably cost me the top spot in the race, as they felt like dead weight dragging up the mountain.
This was a great race to test out my current level of recovery and all things considered -- am pleased.
Another week or so I hope to be fully recovered and ready to get take on the climbs again!

On a side note: I think I need to get out for a Towers time trial one of these days. Despite how slow I was feeling going up towers -- I was glad to see a 27:35 split at the mill creek intersection.  On a good day, fully recovered, with only 3 miles of trail to cover -- I think a sub 30 minute Towers ascent is possible.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Check out these links!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...