"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift"
-Pre

Friday, May 24, 2013

Quad Rock 50

Quad Rock 50 -- 05/11/13 -- Race Report



The Starting line

For whatever reasons I had to drop at mile 25.  I felt slow and sluggish from the start even though I was hitting close to most of my splits through the first 15 or so miles.  I never was able to get into a groove and was never able to find the energy to RACE.  The first few hours felt like nothing more than just another training run --- only with very little zip in the legs.  Uphills felt rough and downhills my legs were not responding to the effort of picking up the pace very much.


elevation profile

I really am not sure what happened, why I felt tired and slow. I do know that I couldn't fall asleep the night before despite going to bed at 9pm --- I saw the clock hit 10pm, then 11pm, then midnight!...ugh!  Just tossing and turning.  Alarm went off at 3:15 am and I staggered out of bed in a foggy daze.
Sipped on some EFS drink, chowed down a bagel and carpooled over with Kris.

Some notable splits:

Arthurs Aid station - 14:37
Towers Aid station - 1:05
Horsetooth Aid station - 1:33
Towers Aid station - 2:21
Arthurs Aid Station - 2:51
Finish / turn around mile 25 - 4:22 (ish) 

My legs had nothing to give, no cramping or anything, I just felt tired, like my eyes were burning and squinting and I just wanted to hop off the trail for a snooze.  Ugh!

Disappointed, but it is what it is -- time to move on and look forward to getting back at it next year!

On a side note - The course was well marked and getting lost on the trail for out of towners would most likely not be an issue at all.  Nick and Pete and all the volunteers did a great job getting the 2nd annual Quad Rock 25/50 off and running without a hitch.  Aid stations were fully stocked with EFS gel, snacks, tortilla rolls, soda, water...etc  Everything you will need to stay hydrated on the course.  The finish had everything you could possibly want or need to eat and consume calories, including tubs of EFS Ultragen recovery drink (I am becoming more a fan of this stuff).

Time to rest and reflect and move on to other races this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Check out these links!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...