"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift"
-Pre

Friday, July 6, 2012

Liberty 5k

07/04/12 -- Liberty 5k Race Report


Results : 3rd place overall - 17:01




Its been a LONG time since I have ran a road race.  Just over a year to be exact. That, combined with the fact that I have not had a speed workout, tempo-run, or interval training --- in MONTHS, had me wondering what I could run a flat road 5k in.  The majority of my workouts have been easy trail runs, or slogging up the occasional mountain-side.....I havent ran a sub 6 minute mile in a long time --- let alone 3 back to back!   My background is 5k road and cross-country running...but not in recent months (or the past year or so) --- so I was ready to see what I can run with little to no speed work in preparation.

Myself, Andrea and Elli got to the race, near downtown Loveland --  about 40 minutes before the start time.  Andrea found some of our friends and hung out with them until the start. I headed over to the registration table to pick up our race packets.  Then made a run to to the port-o-potty and back to the car to pin on my bib number, suck down a GU and get ready to Rock N Roll.
The race had a 8am start time, however, it was delayed about 20 minutes -- as a bunch of last minute runners and walkers headed to the registration table.  After standing at the start line for 20 minutes....the race was ready to start.

TOEING THE LINE:


The race cannon went off and all 800+ runners/walkers were on their way!

MILE 1 - 5:15


Within the first couple of minutes of running the lead pack was about 5-6 strong.  once the initial lead pack got into a groove, by the time we got to the first mile marker, the top 4 runners were running stride to stride.  We hit the mile in 5:15 -- I felt comfortable despite not running this fast in a really long time.  Relatively speaking, its not a fast 5k split by any means, but without having done any speed workout in the last few months, the 5:15 put a nice zing in my legs.

MILE 2 - 5:30


Soon after the 1 mile marker I was running side by side with the lead runner.  I could tell by the lack of breathing and footsteps coming from behind me that we were starting put out a small lead on the remaining runners.  From the 1 mile mark to the 1.5 mile mark I tried a few times to drop the hammer and make an attempt at pulling away...forcing the runners around me to up the pace and go with me --- unfortunately my legs wanted nothing to do with increasing the pace.  I wasnt hurting or cramping -- I just couldnt find that next gear that it takes to pull away in a short 5k.  As a matter of fact...I was slowing down.  I got to the 2 mile marker exactly 5 seconds behind the lead runner.  I could tell by my split that I had slowed by about 15 seconds this mile, and was somewhat relieved that the lead runner had also slowed down a bit.  1 mile to go -- 5 seconds back....on legs that really wish they had some tempo training in the weeks leading up to race day.

MILE 3 - 5:45


Between mile 2 and 3 I began to slow down to what felt like a pedestrian stroll in the park.  And was shocked that with 1/2 mile to go I was still in 2nd place.  The final 3/4 mile of the race the lead runner pulled away from me.  Actually  I am not sure if he picked up the pace, or I just slowed down.  Either way, my legs were set on cruise control and I was trying to hang onto 2nd place.  My legs felt good -- but I was running out of gas.  I could tell by this point in the race, that the lack of tempo and speed work was really making my legs want nothing to do with this up-tempo race effort.
With 200m to go I took a look over my shoulder as we made a sharp right turn and I could see 5 runners behind me all within 10-15 seconds of each other.  Not something I was wanting to see, as my legs felt great in the striding rhythm they were in --- and the lack of any sprint effort that I could give had me worried.
With about 100m to go a runner flew by me, overtaking the 2nd place position -- I was now in 3rd, and with less than 100m to go I could hear heavy breathing from the runners giving chase.
I crossed the line in 3rd place -- 2 seconds behind 2nd place...and 27 seconds behind 1st place.

Looking back on it, I am a little disappointed that I didnt even really try to make it a race with 3/4 mile to go -- its like a little voice in my head told me to ease up and hold onto 2nd. I generally give it everything I have every step along the way until I cross the line.  But for some reason, I was content (at the time) where I was in the race and didnt give that "dig down deep" drive or push to catch 1st place.  (lazy)
 Either way I look at it, I am satisfied with how I ran without any speed training.  I think a sub 16:30 5k (roughly 16:10 sea level effort) is very possible with some speed and tempo training on a weekly basis.

I was recruited a few days earlier to lead, or rabbit, the kids fun run.  So after hanging out for a bit after the 5k -- I got ready to lead the kids to the finish ---- only to get whooped!  :)  fun times!

Overall - A fun day with friends supporting a fantastic cause:  Life for the innocent.

Next time I hope to be more prepared with some speed for the finish!

crossing the line -- wheew!

Getting schooled by the kids in the fun run!

Andrea and Elli finishing up strong!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Check out these links!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...