"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift"
-Pre

Monday, January 16, 2012

RECAP : Jan 9 - 15

---Monday - 01/09/12---

3 x Centennial 1/2 mile Hill Repeats (3:20, 3:24, 3:25) + 27:46 easy running.

The weather today was nice, low 60's. So I opted out of heading to the Rec for a treadmill climb, and instead headed over to Centennial Road for a few hard hill repeats.

Workout went like this:

Parked my truck at the west parking lot at Pineridge. Jogged the uphill 1/4 mile to the "T" in the road. Stretched for a short bit at the stop sign, then started the hill repeats. each 1/2 mile repeat gains about 250 ft of vertical.

Clipped out the first lung busting 1/2 mile climb in 3:20 flat. The weather was nice and warm. First time in awhile that I kept my hat and gloves in the truck. Broke into a nice sweat after the first repeat.
2nd and 3rd repeats slightly slower, but still faster than last Mondays repeats. Sub 7 min pace is a good clip on these hills.


After work I decided that I wanted to get in a short few more miles. So I headed over to Maxwell TH and ran up the hill behind the stadium, crossed over the road and ran to the top of the short hill on the west side of the road. Hit the turnaround point in 14:40. Then proceeded to head back down the same way. Felt good on the down. Legs felt like they were really "under" me and was able to negate any technical downhill spots without much change in effort or pace. Basically ran the down on an easy "cruise control" effort.

finished the short afternoon run in 27:46

Legs have been feeling strong since I got sick last week.



---Tuesday - 01/10/12---

Track Workout - 10 x 400 (70,69,70,69,71,69,69,70,69,68)- 200m recovery

Just before I got off work my friend Steve stopped by my office (about 100 yards from the homestretch), and mentioned that he was about to start a workout at the track in a bit. Soon after, I headed to the track myself for a 10 x 400m speed session.
I planned to keep the pace for all of them around 70 seconds (4:40 mile pace). Legs felt pretty good overall. Even though the last couple times don't show it, my legs started to feel slightly heavy. Probably feeling the hard 1/2 mile hill climbs from yesterday.

Warmed up with an easy mile jog and cooled down with a 2 lap jog (almost in the dark).

For the first week in January, I am pleased with these times. Late spring/early summer these repeats will be down in the 60-65 sec range. But for now, mid winter, I am right where I want to be in regards to my leg turnover and overall speed.



---Wednesday - 01/11/12---

Foothills Trail - 31:30

An easy day on the trails. More like a needed recovery day from the back to back hard workouts on Monday and Tuesday.







Starting at the Maxwell TH, I ran up the hill behind the stadium, crossed the road at Centennial and ran to the top of the hill on the West side of Centennial. Then turned around and ran back the same way. My calves were pretty tight this morning and was hoping that the easy trail jogging would loosen then up a bit for my hill climb workout tomorrow. temps were a balmy 19 degrees, with a slight head wind on way back.
A good easy trail run on a mid January day in Colorado.









---Thursday - 01/12/12---

Treadmill Climb - 40 minutes - 2,235'

Calves were still pretty tight this morning. The track workout the other day really knotted them up for some reason. And so I wasn't sure how this treadmill climb session would go.
Thankfully, a few minutes into the uphill grunt my calves loosened up and they felt great.
It was a balmy 19 degrees outside so I opted for the warmth of the Rec for another treadmill climb, instead of hitting the trails or Centennial.

Workout went like this:

5 minute warm up
35 minutes @ 10% grade @ 9:30 pace
5 minutes @ 10% grade @ 8:57 pace
5 minute cool down

Another solid 2,200 + vertical day on the treadmill.
Glad my calves loosen up...would have been rough if they didnt.



---Friday - 01/13/12---

Pineridge - 30:35

An easy recovery/rest day at Pineridge. Calves feel fine today. Guess I just needed a good climb to work out the kinks.
Starting at the Maxwell TH I ran one counterclockwise loop around Pineridge trails. Pineridge has been closed for a few weeks due to muddy conditions, but has recently opened back up. The trails were dry (although beat up from the bikers who ride in the slop, then after it dries over it wrecks havoc on the trail conditions...not cool). Anyway, an easy jog on easy trails. It was cold, 20 degrees, and had a decent 10mph head wind on the way back...frosty!

Planning a nice run at Horsetooth Mountain tomorrow morning with Steve. So an easy day today felt good.



---Saturday - 01/14/12---

Horsetooth Mountain park w/Steve - 1hr 49 min




Woke up early, had a small sandwich, downed a glass of milk, then I was out the door...in the dark...cold early morning. Picked up Steve at his house and then drove over to the Horsetooth Mountain liquor store for the start of our run. Temps started out in the mid 20's.

Workout went like this:

Parking lot > Inlet Bay > Soderberg TH > Nomad Trail > Mill Creek > Towers > Soderberg TH > Inlet Bay > back to truck

The first part of the run, as the sun was rising, was bone chilling. Especially running through the valley where temps tend to be a tad cooler. As we trotted along Nomad trail, enjoying a nice conversation about Steve's upcoming marathon plans/goals for his race next month, I could see the sun rising on the West hillside. Since my face was frozen solid, this was a welcomed view.
As soon as we hopped on Mill Creek trail, the trail took us up...and up..and up some more!

This is a great 3.5 mile uphill trail, as it provides ample vertical gain over smooth trail (for the most part). The lower half of the the trail on this day was not only mostly dry, but was covered in a soft plushy billow of pine needles....ahhh, a runners dream! Cruising along on up and down rollers that are connected by several uphill long climbs felt really good.




The second half of the run, not so much. And can be described in one word : Sketch.
As we continued on our way, running uphill, the smooth billow turned into a sketchy slip and slide ice rink. Actually I am not sure if the last half of this climb I became a better runner, or a better figure skater!





The climbs were steep and the ice was slippery, which meant lots of slipping and power hiking in parts. I was definitely looking forward to the dry dirt that covered Towers.
A few more ice climbs and switchbacks...and we were there. Emerging out of Mill Creek we now joined on Towers Road for a little switch in pace, from grueling uphill grunting to a downhill scream!






Towers road was clear, but there were a few ice patches which, even at a snail pace walk, was a slip hazard. Around the 3rd or 4th ice section I lost complete traction and wiped out. Landed on my left elbow and forearm...and slide about 3 feet on my left knee until I came to a stop. Nothing major, just a few scratches on my left leg and probably a sore left arm tomorrow...but nothing broken, so all is good.

Finished running down Towers, got back onto Inlet Bay for a slightly up tempo run back to the truck.

Overall, for a mid January run in Colorado, conditions were actually better than I thought they would be. Its great to have trail systems like this one just a short car ride away.
And for runs like this one, its always nice to have some company to keep conversation while running up and down the mountain hills.



---Sunday - 01/15/12---

Easy run in town - 29:50

Today was more of an OFF/easy day. I could have taken the day off as a rest day. But I really want to keep to my schedule of running everyday, even if its a slow and short run...just a simple recovery jog to help remove any lactic acid buildup in the muscles.



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A pretty consistent week of running. A quality mid-January track workout with a solid treadmill climb and a hill repeat day, in addition to a longer trail run on Saturday with Steve that included a decent amount of vertical and downhill running, mixed in with a few easy days.

One thing that stands out is that I haven't raced in months. The Sombrero race in September was my last race and I ran that with one bumb ankle coming off an ankle sprain in August that transformed me into a sedentary couch potato for 4 weeks. I actually haven't ran a race since July....the Barr Trail Race, which runs about 6 miles up Pikes Peak and 6 miles back down.

So yeah, I am itching to race! Doesn't matter what...a road 5k, a half marathon, a trail run, an Ultra.....I am healthy and really miss competing and the camaraderie of racing this upcoming spring and summer months!

In the meantime, I am glad to get out everyday and enjoy the beautiful trails that Colorado in mid January has to offer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Check out these links!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...