"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift"
-Pre

Monday, February 27, 2012

RECAP : Feb 20 - Feb 27

--- Monday - 02/20/12 ---

Treadmill Climb - 45 minutes - 2,650'

Workout went like this:

5 minute warm up
35 minutes @ 9:30 pace @ 10% grade
10 minutes @ 8:57 pace @ 10% grade
5 minute cool down

2,650'


....Temps outside were actually pretty nice for mid February weather, but it was the wind that drove me into the Rec for a treadmill climb instead of hill repeats outside. I felt really good on this climb. Felt strong from the get-go. I think I might try and up the pace and/or go longer on my next treadmill climb. The only downside to this run was that I felt like I was running uphill in a sauna. The only treadmill available was directly in front of the window, which overlooks the IM fields and Horsetooth Rock in the far distance, all good stuff. However, the sun was directly shining on me from my waist down , and with no wind or fans to cool off...I was a drippy sweaty mess!
Did some core work afterwards.




--- Tuesday - 02/21/12 ---

Track Workout - 3 x 800m (2:26, 2:25, 2:26) - 1 lap recovery

2 lap warm up and 2 lap cool down.

Somewhat rushed to get this in during my lunch break, otherwise would have ran an additional 2 more repeats. But ohh well, 3 is better than none I suppose. Pace felt easy and comfortable. Felt more like a tempo run than a speed run, which is always a good thing. And actually was just starting to feel good and get in a groove after my 3rd and final repeat. Slight wind on the backstretch that I thought would be worst than it actually was. Temps in the low 40's.
I plan to slowly up the number of repeats for each track workout in the upcoming weeks until the summer months get here.




--- Wednesday - 02/22/12 ---

Night running - 48 minutes

An easy run after hours. started at 9pm. Super windy night...30 mph gusts.
Wednesday is generally an easy day of running and this day was no different. Felt great, just easy neighborhood jogging as a recovery, or "off" day.




--- Thursday 02/23/12 ---

Neighborhood night running - 1hr 9mins

Mondays and Thursdays are my hill repeat or hill climb day, via Centennial, Towers or treadmill climb, but since the wind was still blowing 30+mph all day (more so in the foothills), I wasnt really in the mood to take on the hill AND a 30mph head wind....just brutal. And since the temps were actually nice, mid 50's, the thought of running on the treadmill just wasnt doing it either. And so I planned to switch todays hill workout with tomorrows easy afternoon run.

I decided to wait until the evening hours to head out, since most of the trails in the area are either closed for muddy conditions...or should be closed! And so another night of pavement pounding in the dark was fine with me.

Workout went like this: (loosely speaking)

Our House > campus, via Meadowlark ,Center ave, Research > ran across campus to Shields st > one loop around campus > back onto Research and Center Ave > crossed Horsetooth and back home.

felt great. Ran on as much grass along the roads and campus as I could.
Starting to like this running at night stuff.




--- Friday - 02/24/12 ---

Horsetooth Mountain Park - 1hr 5mins

Well....the plan was to run up Towers Road today. Temps were great, almost 60! But the trails...not so great.



I managed to trudge my way up Towers to the intersection of Stout, where I was definitely seeking an alternative route. As this muddy, foot swallowing goo...was getting tired pretty quick. I decided to take a left onto Stout where I was greeted with a white crunchy snow pack trail.




The trails are mix of snow/ice, mud, or dry depending on how much sun is getting to that section of trail. So the variety of footing on todays run was fun.
After hopping on Stout I ran down to the falls and then to the main TH and ran the final mile down to my truck at the liquor store.






Overall a great run, with great views....




more slop ....



Total Time : 65 minutes




--- Saturday - 02/25/12 ---

Neighborhood running - 1hr 25 mins

After yesterdays mud trudge I decided to stick to the dry and traction packed roads for the rest of the weekend. As I actually enjoy forward motion when I run.
Route consisted of random back roads and side neighborhoods. Nothing fancy, just a nice run in town.




--- Sunday - 02/26/12 ---

Night running - 1hr 34 mins

Same as yesterday, only in the dark and in about 20 degree temps. Ran random back streets and neighborhoods, tried to stick to running the grassy sections along the sidewalks as much as possible.
I think I am starting to like this night running stuff. Its different...more peaceful and more fun! A great time of reflection.



------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ran the roads more this past than an other week in a really long time. Thats due to a combination of muddy trail (or closed) conditions and busy days with no time to get in anything quality until the night hours roll around.

Legs are feeling really strong and although I havent ran a long run (3hr+) yet, I have been getting that urge to just run for hours on end in the mountains (hopefully). I might work a half day one of the days this week, or take the day off completely and use the day to get in a solid long run without having to rush the second half of a workout because I have to get somewhere. Just an easy long run, with nothing to do afterwards but take a soothing nap :-)

Next week is my birthday...happy 33. Yah!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Check out these links!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...