"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift"
-Pre

Sunday, March 18, 2012

RECAP : Mar 12 - Mar 18

--- Monday - 03/12/12 ---


Pineridge - 39:50


Starting from Spring Creek Canyon park, I ran one clockwise loop around Pineridge.  Easy pace. felt good.
Temps in the mid 60's....perfect!
Planning a long run in Horsetooth and Lory within the next couple of days, so an easy effort today and tomorrow.




--- Tuesday - 03/13/13 ---


Foothills Trail @ Maxwell TH (medium loop) - 39:44 + easy Falls hike in the afternoon


Another easy day on the trails. As well as another 60+ degree day!
Legs felt great--easy effort all the way.

In the afternoon, to celebrate our 8 year anniversary together, myself, Andrea and Eli hiked Horsetooth Falls trail.








--- Wednesday - 03/14/12 ---


One lap of the Quad Rock 50 course - 25 miles - 3 hours 50 minutes (real time about 4hrs flat) -- 5,700'


Workout went like this:

Main Horsetooth TH > South Ridge > Rock Trail > Westridge > Towers > Mill Creek > Arthurs Rock Trail > Howard Trail > Timber Trail > East Valley Trail > Sawmill Trail > Stout Trail > Towers > Spring Creek > Falls > Main TH

With less than 8 weeks to go before the Quad Rock 50 trail race, I wanted to run one lap, or 25 miles, of the full 50 mile course.  Mainly to survey the course and to get a rough estimate of the pace/effort needed to post a somewhat respectable time come race day. I started the run at the main Horsetooth parking lot and ran one clockwise loop of the course.

Temps today were a stunning 72 degrees with clear skies over head.

The majority of trails as of this post are clear. However there are three trails: Westridge, Mill Creek and Timber Trails, that still have a decent amount of awkward "come to a complete stop and tippy-toe across the ice" sections on the upper part of the trail.  This was kinda of annoying as I wanted to really open it up on the downs, particularly on Mill Creek and Timber.  On these downhill sections today I found myself going back and forth between letting'er rip....and walking.  Hopefully a few more days or weeks and the ice will be all but gone.

Rock Trail

Westridge

Mill Creek

Mill Creek

Mill Creek

Arthurs Rock in Background

Looking down on Ft Collins from Howard Trail

Back side of Arthurs Rock 
The total time on the day was 3hrs 50min, but in real time was closer to 4 hours even.  As I stopped the watch for a few seconds for every photo taken.

It felt great to get back to my truck, as I was completely out of fluids by the end of the run. The only downside to a run like this is that I have to wear a lightweight pack to carry GU, my phone and snacks.  The second half of the run, my upper trapezious  muscles were getting tight.  Thankfully both of these issues wont really be an issue at all come race day. As there will be ample opportunities throughout the Quad Rock race to get some fluids and calories at the multiple aid stations along the way. Which means, no pack strapped on my back!

A solid run, under the beautiful Colorado sun in the books.




--- Thursday - 03/15/12 ---


Pineridge - 33:28


An easy run throughout Pineridge starting from Maxwell TH.  Planning on taking the rest of the week easy, after yesterdays 25 miler.
Surprisingly my legs felt fine today, I thought I would have some soreness or "heavy" legs this afternoon, but my legs felt great.  Good stuff. Nice and easy.




--- Friday - 03/16/12 ---


Pineridge - 32:50


Another easy romp through Pineridge starting from Maxwell TH.  Same as yesterday...easy, and felt good.
Temps this week have been perfect, upper 60's - low 70's and its only mid-March!




--- Saturday - 03/17/12 ---


Pineridge - 40:00 flat


Starting from the  Spring Canyon Park I ran one clockwise loop around Pineridge.  3rd day in a row at Pineridge.  I generally do not like running on the same trail for 2+ days in a row, as I prefer switching it up every other day or so. But after Wednesdays long run...an easy trot along the flat and rolling hills at Pineridge feels nice.
Originally I was going to get in another 2 hour + run up at Lory today with my friends Phil and Kris, but they had to cancel there trip up to Foco from Parker.  They are also running the Quad Rock 50 in May, and were planning on getting in a solid training run in today. But something came up and they had to cancel.  (hope your feeling better Phil).
This was fine with me, as I was good with just another easy run today.



--- Sunday - 03/18/12 ---


Easy neighborhood jogging @ night - 50 minutes


I suppose I could have ran yesterdays planned 2 hour +  run up at Lory today.  I had the time...just not the energy.  After church we got home, ate lunch and put Eli down for a nap. It was at this point when I was about to head out for a run, but instead crashed on the couch and slept for about 2.5 hours!  Ughh...I really love to sleep, and for some reason I was tired....flat out exhausted.
Woke up feeling rested but still missed out on getting in my 2nd long run of the week.


Later in the evening, after dinner and after Eli went down to sleep for the night, I got out for an easy 50 minute scamper around town at about 9 pm.




---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wednesdays run was the highlight of the week for me.  Running the full race course in one workout was really a great way to see where I need to make improvements as well as how I might need to tweak my training in the upcoming weeks before Quad Rock. It was also great to get a feel for what a particular pace feels like on this course.  5,500+ vert ft over 25 miles, then turn back around and run it again....man this thing is going to be tough!  A physical and mental challenge for sure.

The rest of the week was super easy recovery jogging in Pineridge.
Didnt get a chance to get in another long run for the week, but I suppose one quality 4 hour long run was enough.

This week I plan to get back to the track for a speed session. Its been a few weeks since I have ran anything fast and I would like to get back to my weekly track workouts again.
I also havent done any treadmill climbs in several weeks mostly because the weather outside has been beautiful and warm. And the trails have been drying up nicely.

Looking forward to some quality trail running up at Horsetooth and Lory this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Check out these links!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...