"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift"
-Pre

Monday, April 16, 2012

RECAP : April 9 - April 15

--- Monday - 04/09/12 ---


OFF


My B2B (back to back) 25 miles on Friday and another 25 miles on Saturday felt really good last week.  I took today off just as a precautionary rest day. I actually felt fine on Sunday and today but I figure one extra day off to let the old bones rest, even though I felt fine, was probably a good idea.



--- Tuesday - 04/10/12 ---


Foothills Trail (medium loop)  + Pineridge - 1hr 10 minutes


First day running since my B2B runs over the weekend. Felt good. Easy effort.






--- Wednesday - 04/11/12 ---


Foothills Trail (long loop) + Pineridge + easy 25 minutes in the PM 


Starting from Maxwell TH I ran one long loop on Foothills trail then tacked on one loop of Pineridge -- 1hr 20 mins. Then in the evening I ran an easy 25 minutes throughout the neighborhood.


Temps were in the 40's -- damp and foggy.  A nice change for a day!




Horsetooth Rock in fog.

I really enjoy running in damp, wet weather. Some of my favorite workouts that I can remember took place either in the rain or damp foggy conditions. Growing up on the East Coast meant several months a year during the fall months of this kind of running weather...not so much here in Colorado. 300 + days of sunshine! So when days like this come around, I really enjoy it.




Total Time : 1 hr 45 minutes




--- Thursday - 04/12/12 ---


Two laps around Pineridge + Foothills Trail (short loop) - 1hr 35 minutes


Felt good. Easy effort.



--- Friday - 04/13/12 ---


Foothills Trail (medium loop) - 38:15

An easy run today, in preparation for my 20+ miler tomorrow morning in Lory/Horsetooth.



--- Saturday - 04/14/12 ---


Lory/Horsetooth run - 22 miles - 3hrs 20 minutes


Workout went like this:


Horsetooth liquor store > Inlet Bay > Soderberg TH > Valley trails > Soldier Canyon TH > Timber > Howard > Arthurs Rock > Arthurs Rock TH > Mill Creek > Towers > down Towers back to Soderberg > Inlet Bay > Horsetooth liquor store


I met Steve this morning at the Soderberg TH, as he was going to run with me some of the way throughout my run this morning.  I planned to run easy the first 6.5 miles, or roughly from where I started to the Soldier Canyon TH. Then I planned to run the section of Timber > Howard > Arthurs Rock > and Mill Creek ....at an honest effort pace. Then an easy jog back down Towers and jog the rest of the way back to my truck at an easy cool down pace.
Ran with Steve all the way to the Soldier Canyon TH where he decided to call it a day and turn around and head back the same way. I then picked up the pace and ran the next 11or so miles at a solid effort, averaging  a 9:20 pace throughout the climb up Timber, the rocky descent on Howard and Arthurs Rock trail, and the climb up Mill Creek.
Got to Towers and slowed back down to an easy jog the rest of the way.
It felt good to open it up on the down and rolling sections, while giving the climbs a good hard push. Surely this section of the race course, along with a few others, will be one of the toughest parts of the race--- the 25 mile turn around point up Timber.
Legs felt really responsive today.
Only a few more weeks left until race day, which means only a few more hard long runs left before the taper begins.


On a side note : Andrea got into a small accident with our car today while I was home with Eli. She was on her way to pick up a girlfriend and go on a short hike together when it happened. Nothing major, she is okay--just shaken up a bit.  So we might be down to our truck this upcoming week for carpooling to and from work, and daycare, while the car is in the shop. So very thankfuul Andrea is safe and okay.
Maybe its a sign that it is time we should upgrade to that family SUV  we have been talking about for the last year or two.


--- Sunday - 04/15/12 ---

OFF


Church in the morning and then spent the day with my in-laws and family down near Denver for the day. Was supposed to go to the Butterfly Pavilion but that got cancelled and spent the day at my in-laws home. Ate dinner down there and got home late. A fun time hanging out with 2 of my brother in laws.


-----------------------------------------------------------------

A fairly easy week of training with one good long run over the weekend.  The up-tempo section of that workout felt great and was a very encouraging sign.  Since there are only a few weeks left until the race I have only a handful of hard/long workouts planned before I begin my taper.
Something else I have been thinking about lately is that I dont have any races lined up for the summer yet.  (outside of the Barr trail race ) Depending on whats still available and entry fee costs I think I will take a good hard look in the next few weeks and try to figure out a race (or two) for the summer months.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Check out these links!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...