"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift"
-Pre

Monday, April 9, 2012

RECAP : April 2 - April 8

--- Monday - 04/02/12 ---


Foothills Trail ( Medium Loop )  - 38:15


Easy paced run . Felt good.



--- Tuesday - 04/03/12 ---

Foothills Trail ( Short Loop ) - 29:10

Temps today were in the upper 30's with a solid breeze blowing across town. Two days ago temps were in the 80's and today in the 30's...thats Colorado weather for you!  Forgot to pack any warm stuff, so was glad to get back to the truck and warm up -- shorts and T-shirt all the way--- Brrr!
Another easy effort. 



--- Wednesday - 04/04/12 ---

Foothills Trail (Medium Loop) + 1 lap of Pineridge - 1:02:44 (PR)

Because yesterday was more on the windy/chilly side, I decided to skip my track workout and go easy. So today, with warmer temps, I decided to run a moderate effort tempo out on Foothills trail (34:55) and Pineridge (27:49). The last few days have been easy running, so it felt good to run slightly up-tempo for a change.  Not that I have ever run this ~8 mile loop hard, but I did notice that I ran my best time today for any sorta tempo/fartlek type workout on this course. Tomorrow will be easy with my B2B (back to back) long runs coming up on Friday and Saturday.




--- Thursday - 04/05/12 ---


Pineridge - 35:20


One easy effort lap of Pineridge starting from Maxwell TH. A full 7 minutes+ slower than yesterdays tempo split.  Was considering taking today off since I have two 25 mile runs planned this weekend, but decided on a super easy run instead.



--- Friday - 04/06/12 ---


Part 1 of 2 - B2B Long Run Weekend 
25 miles - 3 hours 55 minutes


Workout went like this:


Blue Sky TH > South on Blue Sky > Devils Backbone TH > Back North on Blue Sky > Blue Sky TH > up the road to Horsetooth TH > falls > Stout > Towers > Soderberg TH > Inlet Bay > Blue Sky TH


Blue Sky Valley looking North

Blue Sky Valley looking West

Sketchy footing

more rock hopping

Devils Backbone

A beautiful morning for a beautiful run!  This is my first real attempt at any sort of long back-to-back runs, so I took the pace relatively easy today. It has been a really long time since I have been down to the Devils Backbone area and so it felt nice to run on these trails for a change.



--- Saturday - 04/07/12 ---


Part 2 of 2 - B2B Long Run Weekend
25 miles - 3 hours 41 minutes


Workout went like this:


Starting from my house > Horsetooth Road West > Taft Hill South > Harmony (38E) West > Took 38E to Horsetooth Mtn park main TH > South Ridge > Westridge > Towers > Spring Creek > Falls > Main TH > 38E East to Taft Hill > North on Taft Hill > East on Horsetooth Road > Past Shields......and finally home!




Usually after any sort of long run effort the following day (or two!) is an easy recovery day. However, after yesterdays 25 miler, I had another 25 miles planned for this mornings run.  The reason for this B2B long run insanity is so that I can try to simulate what it is going to feel like on race day, running on possibly heavy and tired legs during the latter stages of the race. I had no idea how my legs would respond to this workout. I woke up this morning feeling good, my left IT band felt sorta tight, but other than that my legs felt pretty good.

I was planning on meeting Steve up at the Horsetooth TH for some trail action and with a couple of miles to go Steve drove by me and before I knew it I was up at the TH and definitely looking forward to some company for an hour or so of chatter during the run.  After we finished the 7.5 mile 'ish run together, Steve hopped into his car -- offered me a last chance ditch effort drive back into town -- and then drove away.  9 more miles of running and my B2B long run weekend would be complete!  The run back was actually pleasant, and the up and down rolling hills on the road allowed for ample recovery time.
Overall, I actually felt better today than I did yesterday. I think having some company mid-run to break it up a bit certainly helped. I tried to go as minimal as I could today, and so I didnt pack along my camera -- so no pics.

After I got home and showered--myself, Andrea and Eli walked over to Panera for lunch.
Later in the day we were over our friends (James and Julies) house and while we were there Eli took her first real steps all by herself!  A super awesome run, followed by even a more super awesome afternoon watching my daughter walk into my arms for the first time.  :-)



--- Sunday - 04/08/12 --- EASTER


OFF


After a successful B2B long run weekend I decided to take the day off and spend some time in the kitchen baking a honey-cinnamon ham for some family and friends who we had over for Easter dinner.
A beautiful Easter day!




---------------------------------------------------------------------


Wow -- What a week! --  Easter,  B2B long runs and Eli taking her first steps!

With just over 4 weeks to go before the Quad Rock 50 race I really wanted to get in this B2B long run workout, which turned out to be not so bad afterall. I suppose my legs feel a little heavy, but nothing I havent felt before.
Running with Steve for part of my run on Saturday definitely helped.  And the ride back into town was tempting --- but I had to turn it down.
And Eli taking her first steps on her own was simply awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Check out these links!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...