"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift"
-Pre

Monday, August 6, 2012

RECAP : July 23 - July 29

--- Monday - 07/23/12 ---

OFF

Busy day at work. Decided to take the day off to rest.



--- Tuesday - 07/24/12 ---

Pineridge - 33:38

Easy effort around Pineridge. Another 90+ degree day.  Planning a long 800m track workout tomorrow, so decided to get out for an easy run to loosen up and be fresh for tomorrow.


--- Wednesday - 07/25/12 ---

Track Workout - 20 x 800m repeats with 100m recovery

Workout went like this:

1 mile warmup
20 x 800m's
-2:45
-2:45
-2:51
-2:48
-2:46
-2:46
-2:45
-2:46
-2:45
-2:44
-2:44
-2:47
-2:47
-2:44
-2:45
-2:44
-2:45
-2:47
-2:45
-2:44

.....1/2 mile cool down.
(All 100m recovery jog)

After repeat number 5, the sky opened up and ran the rest of the 800's alternating between either a downpour rain or little drizzle.  Either way, it was refreshing to run in the rain for a change...and really enjoyed the much cooler temps ( 75 degrees --- down from 92 at the start!)

Most 800's I have run in a single workout...and felt great.  I planned to keep the pace at about 2:50, but running slightly faster (2:46 or so...) felt like a nice comfortable pace to hold without red-lining it.


Solid track workout! 

On a side note --- Someone snagged one of my handheld bottles (carrying a GU) DURING my workout!  I placed a bottle every 200m so I would have some Gatorade goodness to gulp down every few repeats...only to realize during my cool down as I ran around the track to collect my bottle....that it was stolen!  Arggh!  Who does that??  I looked everywhere --- and nothing.
Anyway -- was kinda upset about that...



--- Thursday - 07/26/12 ---

Pineridge - 33:19

An easy scamper through pineridge to loosen up from yesterdays track run.  Quads felt good...calves felt sore and slightly tight.  Easy effort all the way. 
   

--- Friday - 07/27/12 ---

Manitou Incline + Barr Trail to Barr camp - 2hrs 20 minutes


Running the Barr Trail race on Pikes Peak a handful of times has always gave me an interest in taking a stab at running up the Incline, located right near the start of the Barr Trail race.
So I decided to take the day off work and drive the 2 hours down to Manitou for a solid 1 mile climb with 2,000 vertical ft! 

I parked my truck halfway up Ruxton Ave and ran an easy 4 minutes to the base of the Incline.





I stood there for a minute to gather myself as I stared up at this...

An uphill stair-master! -- 1 mile long!

As this was my first time on the Incline I wasnt really shooting for a particular ascent time.  I really just wanted to get a feel for how steep this climb would make my legs and lungs feel.
There were a handful of hikers along the way sitting down to take in some of the views and catch their breathe.  I guess I just assumed the Incline would be a fairly well maintained stair-stepper...so I was surprised to to see some of the more sketchy sections along the way.



The last 5 minutes or so up this climb is pretty darn steep -- like 68% grade steep!

Made it to the top in 21:27.

Some views from the top looking back down:


Downtown Manitou Springs


 After taking a minute at the top I continued on my to Barr camp and then turned around and ran back down Barr Trail back to my truck.
Temps were in the 90's at the end of the run and since I didnt carry any water with me (only my camera) -- I was thirsty!
Downed some water and headed back up to the Fort.

On my way back home I got stuck in traffic South of Denver. I guess a motorcycle crashed and they actually shut down the interstate.  UGhh!!
Long and extremely frustrating story short --- it took just over 4 hours to get home!  just brutal!


--- Saturday - 07/28/12 ---

Pineridge + Foothills Trail - 1hr 35 minutes

Starting from the dog park I ran through Pineridge --- through Maxwell TH -- and continued on up the hill and the medium loop course of Foothills Trail.  Ran back down into Pineridge, ran one lap and then finished back up at my truck.

Scorching hot day -- 98 degrees.  zero shade.

Legs felt good, just a little shaky from the 800's earlier in the week and the 1 mile vertical climb from yesterday.


--- Sunday - 07/29/12 ---

OFF

A day off to rest and relax.


------------------------------------------------------------   

Both workouts: the 800's and the run up the Incline and onto Barr trail were great runs this week.  Legs are feeling strong and the speed workouts every other week are really improving my overall speed and leg turnover.
20 x 800m with 100m recovery is quite the workout.  If you have never tried anything like this before, I highly recommend giving it a try.  It benefits both mind and body.  Mentally, the thought of having to run 20 or so 800 meters is mind numbing at first -- but as the workout progresses and after you finish. Your mental capacity for future hard workouts will be that much more sharp.  Afterall, Its is your mind that tells your body how hard you can go, or how how much further you can run, or how much pain or discomfort you can handle before caving in. And I believe you are only as strong as your weakest link.  Therefore, increase your mental toughness and your body will follow!


 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Check out these links!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...