"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift"
-Pre

Friday, August 31, 2012

RECAP : August 20 - August 26

--- Monday - 08/20/12 ---

Foothills Trail (short loop) - 31:55


--- Tuesday - 08/21/12 ---

Foothills Trail (long loop) - 47:54


--- Wednesday - 08/22/12 ---

AM - easy 4 laps around troutman park from home. Ran on grass. 27 minutes.

PM - Towers time trial : 29:36 (first sub 30!)

Ran easy effort from Horsetooth liquor store to Soderberg TH.  Then ran the Towers time trial and back to down and over to truck the same way.

Tower Splits along the way:

Stout- 8:40
Loggers- 13:10
Carey Springs- 18:25
Mill Creek- 24:55

Legs felt perfect today.  Effort on the climbs felt easy. I didnt really start to feel any zing in the legs until I got near the Herrington turn off.  From here on in, the legs felt good for the most part -- Only felt a little discomfort in the quads the last few meters of each of the hill climbs.  then as soon as the trail evened out, after each of the small climbs, my legs went from starting to feel the burn...to feeling great and allowed me to pick up the pace slightly on the less steep sections, which in turn, helped to buffer the slower paced grind of the steep stuff.
Lungs were definitely huffing it on the way up.  Just kept telling myself.."2 more miles, 1 more mile, 5 more minutes...etc"  ugh!
Got to the top, stopped my watch and fell to my knees for a couple of minutes before I caught my breathe and felt well enough to get up and run back down.

First Towers time trial this year --- and a PR...sub 30!

Total Time on the day : 1hr 42 minutes


--- Thursday - 08/23/12 ---

Pineridge (short loop) - 26:34

Easy recovery day.


--- Friday - 08/24/12 ---

4 X Horsetooth Rock Summits - 4hrs 16 minutes

Workout went like this:

Starting from the Horsetooth liquor store, I ran up to the main TH.  I then ran 4 up and down repeats of horsetooth rock. Coming back down to the main TH before heading back up.

The first repeat I carried a pack with me carrying GU's and some snacks.  When I got to the top I stashed my pack behind a bush so that I would be able to throw back some calories after every summit.  At the bottom of every repeat I refilled my water bottle.  Planning it this way allowed me to refill water at the bottom and consume food up top.

4 hours and 16 minutes include the run up from my truck and the run back down at the end.  It also includes stopping briefly to refill and a few seconds up top to grab some food.

Got in about 6,200' vertical.  The sun was hot, but having multiple options to get to the summit and multiple options to get back down to the trailhead made the run that more interesting....and enjoyable.  I basically alternated between running the Rock Trail and South Ridge options during the run.

Stopped to snap a few pics from up top after my 4th, and final repeat of the day:









Felt good to get in a nice groove for a few hours of nothing but alternating between a few uphill miles followed by a few downhill miles.  I really enjoy these training runs!


--- Saturday - 08/25/12 ---

Pineridge - 41:35

Started from the dog park. One easy lap around Pineridge.


--- Sunday - 08/26/12 ---

Easy running in the PM  around town - 45 minutes

Got in a late evening run after the sun went down.  Ran through town on the road.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------



  • On top of whatever mileage I logged while running this week, I also went out of my way at work to be on my feet as much as possible throughout the day during my work inspections.  I estimated an average of 4-5 miles a day of walking (including up and down multiple flights of stairs), everyday this week at work.
  • Decided to run the Run Rabbit Run 100 miler in a few weeks.  Working on logistics, travel, lodging, crew...etc.  Really excited and really nervous about the idea of getting through a 100 mile trail race up in the mountains with nearly 21,000 vertical ft. 
  • If anyone wants to help crew me, let me know!   I have one person as of this point (2 weeks to go) who has committed to helping me out. I am sure he would enjoy some company.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Check out these links!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...