"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift"
-Pre

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Run Rabbit Run 100 - Preview



INTRO 

100 miles, actually according to the Run Rabbit Run website more like 101.9 miles.  That is the distance that I hope to cover by foot (via running, walking...perhaps even crawling) this upcoming weekend.  This will be my first stab at the 100 mile distance and I am anxiously nervous and excited at the same time. With about 21,000' vertical feet of uphill climbing and 21,000' of downhill running, its not gonna be a walk in the park.  A lot of planning, more so than any other race I have ever run, is going into this race. Trying to find a few people to take time off work and drive up to the mountains for a few days, stay up all night and help crew me -- has not been an easy task.   However, my two brother in laws have graciously stepped up to help me out and be my crew. I am very thankful for the support of my family and friends as I embark on this crazy 100 mile all day and all night adventure!


GOALS

Well,  in terms of goals I have several and they range anything from finishing the race by limping across the finish line on one leg with vomit on my shirt, pulling up the rear -- barely under the time cutoff, dazed and confused, hungry, tired, thirsty, in a half sleep deprived stupor -- stumbling with every step I take. Wishing I hadn't taken the wrong turn during the night and spending several hours walking in circles... completely lost in the woods. Day dreaming of milk and cookies.
......all the way to setting off on a scorching hot pace, hammering the downhills and hauling tail up the climbs. Pulling away from the field on a blistering pace. Not breaking a sweat until mile 70.  Digging deep and throwing any pain or discomfort off to the side and be completely focused and winning by a few miles. Flying down from the top of Mt Werner to the finish in an effortless 100 mile debut. Performing the moonwalk and throwing in a few back flips as I cross the finish line.   Getting a running sponsorship on the spot and still have enough in the tank for a 10 mile cool down.  :-)

ahhh, to dream! ---  Actually my goals fit somewhere in the middle of those...

GOALS:

1) Finish :-)
2) Finish under 24 hours
3) Finish under 20 hours
4) Top 10
5) Top 5
6) Top 3
7) See example number 2 above :-)

A few other side goals would include:

- Not getting lost at night
- Avoiding severe stomach issues/muscle cramps
- Eat and drink consistently throughout


PREDICTIONS

There is a pretty stacked field, and so with the thought of anything can happen during a 100 mile run, making predictions is tough.  Although there are a few runners I believe will be chasing the podium spots most of the way.

-Tim Olsen 
- Mike Wolf
- Dylan Bowman

Then there are a few dark horses in the field. Arnulfo Quimare and Miguel Lara --- both Tarahumara, making their debut on America soil.  For those that dont know these guys are the stars of the little known book called "Born to Run".  Its gonna be interesting to see how they perform against some of the top US runners.

There are few others: Karl Melzer and Duncan Callahan who will be running hard all day as well.

I am looking forward to see how it pans out throughout the run!


THOUGHTS

I have heard all sorts of advice leading up to this run.---  "eat early and often", "walk every uphill", "dont take too much time at the aid stations", "dont hurry through the aid stations"," try not to sit down", "be sure to sit down and let your legs recover", " get in 300 calories an hour", "take salt tabs", "eat several meals along the way", "dont worry about things", "patience is the key" ----- etc etc.....

Some of that advice I will most definitely use!

I honestly have no idea how I will do...or feel during the run.  I have been sick for about 2 weeks (on and off) and hoping that doesnt come into play later in the run. I have never ran for 100 miles before so there is a huge x-factor or the unknown that has captivated me.

This race will be different for all runners for a few reasons:

- There are actually two "heats", a tortoise and hare.  The Tortoise starts at 8am (I believe) and the Hare a few hours later at 1pm on Friday. I will be in the Hare group. (although at times running more like a tortoise most likely). Despite there being a  "slower" and "faster" heat, I am confident that although the top times will be in the Hare group, there will be much over laping in overall times between the two groups.

- The 1pm group is not allowed pacers!  This is going to require a mental focus of steel to get through the night running portions without someone there to guide you, motivate you and lift your spirits as you proceed to slog your way up and over mountains.  How will some of the elites handle this?  Most, if not all 100 milers, are used to having pacers along side them in the later stages of the race. This aspect alone might help weed out the top 3 overall finishers. Should be interesting.

- The final spot along the course that allows crew access is around mile 70 (or so), which means the final 30 miles will be run without the aid of your crew AND without the aid of a pacer!  Yikes!


I am excited to get going and am looking forward to getting in a good run this weekend!

For those that want to follow my suffering...errr running, from the comfort of your couch....you can follow my progress on the website:


Click on the 100 mile Hare link and click on my name. As I enter and exit the aid stations along the way they will update the site to my overall place, aid station splits, pace...etc   Its actually really cool!
The site will be active and my name added to the list once the races begins.
1pm - Mountain time!

I will write up an aid station to aid station Race Report in the days following the run.

Thanks and wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Check out these links!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...