"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift"
-Pre

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

RECAP : Nov 14 - Nov 20

Monday - 11/14/11

Lunch - Treadmill climb. 30 minute climb at 10% grade, with varying pace. 1,514 vert.

10 minute easy warmup
10 minutes @ 12 min/mi @ 10% grade
18 minutes @ 10 min/mi @ 10% grade
2 minutes @ 8:30 min/mi @ 10% grade
10 minute easy cooldown

First time on the treadmill for a workout and I actually enjoyed it. I felt good and it felt great to run uphill for an extended period of time. Could have gone longer, but had to get back to the office. Felt strong and comfortable. I plan to make this a weekly workout (maybe even twice a week) during the winter months (Dec - March). 30 minutes of climbing felt good for my first treadmill workout. Although 60-90 minutes of continuous uphill running is what I am aiming for later this winter. (once or twice a week).

PM - 21 minutes. easy. Ran home after work via the mason street path.


Tuesday - 11/15/11
AM - 22 minutes. Easy run into work. via mason street path.
PM - 55 minutes. easy. Ran home from work via the spring creek trail > dog park > horsetooth and back home. Last few miles were in the dark.


Wednesday - 11/16/11
PM - 53 minutes. Same as yesterday. Ran home from work . Campus > Spring creek path > dog park > horsetooth and back home. another easy run in the dark after work.

Thursday - 11/17/11
AM - 21 minutes, jog to work. Via mason street path.
PM - 19 minutes, jog back home after work on mason path. Easy day of jogging to and from work.


Friday - 11/18/11
OFF


Saturday - 11/19/11
Track Workout
Woke up at 6am and jogged the 3 miles to the track from our house via the spring creek path. To my surprise, we got about 2 inches of snow on the ground that night! And the temps were in the low 20's. So I jogged to the track and of course it was covered in about 1-2 inches of snow. I was hoping that the snow, for whatever reason, would not be sticking to the track.....but it was. After my 3 mile warmup jog I ran 2 x 800, 1 x 400 and 1 mile of striders. Ran the repeats hard, yet at a comfortable pace. Then an easy 3 mile jog back home as a cool down.
I would have thrown in a few more 800's but the track was fairly slippery and with each step I took, I could feel my feet slipping (which was frustratingly annoying). I was running in my road racing flats, not my track spikes. So the effort it took me to run my repeats was much more difficult than the actual times appear. I figure equivalent times on a dry morning would be at least 3-4 seconds per 400m faster than this wet and snowy morning at the track.

Anyways, I ran:
2x800m (2:37, 2:38), 1x400m (1:12)....and 4 laps of jogging the turns and striding out the straights.


Sunday - 11/20/11
OFF

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

This past week it felt really good to get on the treadmill and get in some nice uphill running for a welcomed change. I am not a fan of the tredmill, but I suppose it does have its advantages during the winter months when getting to the mountains are not an option. continuous uphill climbs are great workouts to increase your overall strength and endurance. Running uphill for anymore than 30 minutes straight means heading to RMNP, but in the winter thats not an option, as snow covers the trails up in the high country during the winter months. Which makes the treadmill a handy tool in the winter if you are looking to get in some vertical.
Getting to the track more often has also been a perk in my running these past few weeks. Even if one of the workouts was altered because of the snow, it still was well worth it. Improving my leg turnover during these track workouts this winter is something I feel will help improve my downhill trail running come next summer.
My truck is still out of commission and have been running to and from work a few days a week. Not sure when it will get fixed, maybe in the next week or two...whenever payday gets here.

Saturday we celebrated Eliana's 1 year birthday! Her birthday is officially on the 22nd but we had Family and friends came over on Saturday. We had about 20 people in attendance to celebrate Eliana's big day. She ate cake and ice cream, played with her new toys, got lots of hugs and kisses and judging from the smile on her face throughout the day...I think she enjoyed every minute of it! :-)






No comments:

Post a Comment

Check out these links!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...