"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift"
-Pre

Monday, September 5, 2011

Colorado Run + Pineridge (9/5)

Every labor day the local Runners Roost puts on a 5k and 10k race that takes place on the CSU campus. I have run this race several times as I enjoy the local competition, camaraderie and the course that zig-zags its way throughout campus.
Today, however I was there to support and cheer on my friend Steve Saleeby, who was running the 5k.



It is an interesting point of view as a runner to be sidelined watching your fellow race competitors get in their last minute strides, gulp down some water and toe the line. In one aspect I am wishing I was out there with them, ready to race. And at the same time I was enjoying the peaceful and relaxing morning not having to worrying about: did I get enough sleep? are my shoes tied to tight? should I go out at this pace or should I go out at that pace? did I drink enough water? have I trained hard enough leading up to this race, what should I wear, its cold now but might warm up? should I have just stayed in bed and skip out?? yadda..yadda...yadda
So yeah, I enjoyed the time to hang around and chit-chat with some folks while everyone was off racing. I found it amazing at just how fast a 5k race takes when your NOT racing it! It felt like the gun went off, lots of hooting and hollering, then a brief conversation or two, and then I hear the announcer.."Lead runners making their way into the oval any second". Wow, time flies when your standing still. Which made me further appreciate the longer Ultra distance that I am sorta getting into as of late. For a 5k, weeks are spent training for a race that is over by the time you make your way to the porta potty and back. I guess the long, all day (and night) sorta racing appeals to me a little more right now. I just flat out enjoy running and hate it when I have to stop. After a 5k race, I feel like I still need to get in a workout. I guess its the simplicity and the mindset of an Ultra that is gravitating myself towards that niche of running.
However, that being said, there are a few shorter (5k-10 mile) races I might do later this fall.


After Steve finished the race I invited him to do an easy trail run with me over at Pineridge later in the day.
After running the last few days more than I have run in one month, I decided to err on the easy side of training for today and ran an easy, singletrack, trail starting from the dog park at the end of Horsetooth. One loop of Pineridge works out to be a smidge under 5 miles. Nothing hard, nice and easy conversation pace. Ankle feeling great, lungs felt good...overall a great week back on the trails.

Total Time: 40:mid

No comments:

Post a Comment

Check out these links!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...