"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift"
-Pre

Monday, September 19, 2011

Stout to Loggers Repeats (9/19)

With an upcoming short (4.5mi) trail race next weekend, my goal for this week is to put in some quality up tempo runs and/or hard hill repeats, in place of longer slower runs. The race is fairly short, and will require climbing strength, speed (relatively speaking), and a fresh pair of legs.

I started my run at the Blue Sky trailhead and ran to towers road, ran up towers, and stopped at the intersection of Stout. The jog takes about 22 minutes. Running the first steep section of towers on the way to the Stout intersection can put a nice sting in the legs. After a short stretch I started my first of two hill repeats.

Running on towers from Stout to the Loggers trail intersection is about 0.45 miles with ~250 ft of vertical gain! (according to mapmyrun) I hope to get a watch with an altimeter sometime this fall/winter.







Ran the first lung busting repeat in 3:57, turned around and jogged back down to Stout and proceeded to run my second repeat in 3:52. When run hard, this workout will leave your lungs burning and your quads on fire. Sure signs of a great run!

After a brief pause after my second repeat to get my legs back under me, I continued on and took the turn onto Loggers > Sawmill > Nomad > Inlet Bay > Blue sky trailhead...and back to my truck.

A great hard push up a difficult section of towers is just what I needed. And the rocky run back down Loggers and Sawmill and onto Nomad was a nice way to finish.

Hill Repeats: stout to loggers (~0.45mi / ~250 vertical ft)

First - 3:57
Second - 3:52

Total Time : 1hr 25 minutes

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see that your ankle injury has cleared up and that you're running strong :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phil - Thanks......my first comment! Yea, so far so good. I'll see how it responds to a race effort this weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Check out these links!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...