"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift"
-Pre

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Foothills Trail (9/14)

One thing I can say about the fall, is that I absolutley love running in the cool, drizzly mist, on a crisp autumn day. Hands down, simply awesome.

Todays run had some of that, with the addition of a muddy downhill trail version of Slip-N-Slide.

I started my run at the Maxwell trailhead and ran the foothills trail up and over the short climb behind the stadium. I turned right at the first "Y" split in the trail at the top of the hill, which kept me on the East side of the road. The trail eventually crosses the road and this is where I headed back South (on the West side of the road), running along the ridge.

The first half of this run was great. Cool breeze, slight drizzle, peaks covered in the overhead mist, just an overall wet and damp day on the trails.
Not too long after my turn around point the rain picked up and the fog rolled in. The drizzle turned into a downpour and the mist turned into dense fog. Now, as much as I enjoy running in the slop, I also enjoy being able to see in the direction I am running.

The trail quickly turned into a muddy downhill slopfest and each step I took had me sliding down the trail, not running. The interesting thing about the mud here in this part of Colorado, is that the mud is like a thick, sticky clay, it sticks to the bottom of your shoes with each step. Depending on your preference you can choose to run 3 inches taller, or stop and scrap off the muddy clay every few minutes during your run.





Still somewhat enjoying the run (despite dragging along an additional few pounds of mud on each of my soles), I decided to call it a day when I got to the parking lot and skip out on tacking on the additional 30 minute Pineridge loop that I had planned. But ohh well, it was fun to play in the mud for a change.

Tomorrows weather calls for the same, so expecting the trails to be in even worse conditions.

Total Time : 42 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment

Check out these links!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...